Re: HP DV9540 laptop AMD64 with nVidia G8400M graphic card will not start in X mode

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 17:09 -0300, Ivan Paganini wrote:
> I've installed a amd64 lenny system, and installed just afterwards the
> nvidia 100 driver directly from the nvidia installer, with the
> 2.6.21-2-amd64 kernel. Not a single glitch, everything working fine...
> and lightning fast!

It works fine today.

However, in the process of installing, the nvidia-installer overwrites a
number of files from assorted Debian packages.

Now, assume those packages are updated (e.g. by a security update),
reversing the nvidia changes. The nvidia driver will unexpectedly stop
working. You try to uninstall, which replaces the overwritten files with
the versions that were there oringinally (e.g. 1.0.3 versions of files
that were updated to 1.0.4). This will break X completely.
Congratulations, you're now one of the hundreds of people who demanded
that nvidia-installer was great, right up until it poked them in the
ass.