Re: Seeking Solution

On 10/08/2007 Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Problem: I am running Debian sid on an amd64-notebook with scsi-drive.
> The problem is, I cannot standby the drive with hdparm -S 1 /dev/sda. Well, it
> is shutting down after 5 seconds, but something is writing permanently to the
> drive so the drive is starting again.

Hello Hans-J.,

> I suppose it is a log file. O.k.,lsof is telling me  a lot of logfiles. Of
> course, I could stop all the logging, but this is not the way I want to. I
> want to stop only the logfile, which is responsible for the permannet
> writing.
>
> So my question: How can I make Debian (Linux) to see, which file is written to
> the drive at the moment ?

The only way I know of is fuser, which takes either device name or mount
point as argument:

# fuser -m /dev/mapper/mysql
/var/lib/mysql:       6694c

# ps 6694
  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
 6694 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/usr \
	--datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql \
	--pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid \
	--skip-external-locking --port=3306 \
	--socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock