Re: resizing partition with Windows Vista

On Wed July 11 2007 10:48, Seb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is unbelievable.  The Toshiba laptop I mentioned in my previous post
> came with Windows Vista in it.  It has a nifty utility to "shrink" or
> "expand" a partition.  Well, Vista created 4 partitions, scattered all
> over the hard drive, and "shrinking" the partition doesn't let you use all
> the free space available.  Googling for a solution, the only one seems to
> be to buy a partitioning proprietary software that knows how to resize
> NTFS partitions with Vista on it.  Has anybody been successful resizing
> such a partition to create space for a dual boot system?  This is
> surreal.  Thanks.

I heard about this in an email not to long ago, may be Microsoft doesn't think
anybody uses the mbr!

I haven't dual booted in about a year now, I have found linux solutions to all
my needs although I understand not everyone can get away without it.

When I did dual boot I always created my partitions with fdisk or recently
cfdisk and just let windows format and install. Then install linux afterwards
along with grub or lilo and that always worked well for me. I know that
doesn't help if your partitions are already created but that's my
experience.. :)