Re: AMD 64 X2

storm66@club-internet.fr wrote:
> hello,
>
> I want to buy a new system with an AMD64 X2, as I want to try
> virtualization I need to know what kind of processor contains
> the "Pacifica" (now AMD-V) set of instructions.
> Does anybody have any information about that as the documents
> I have found are not crystal clear.
>
> Regards
>
> Storm66

If the system you want has been assembled, just get a LiveCD with a
recent kernel, boot it up and look at /proc/cpuinfo. I just got (late
March) an Athlon64 X2 4200+ at CompUsa and it does have the magic
virtualization stuff (the "svm" in flags is the gimmick, IIRC). This is
what mine looks like with a 2.6.21 kernel:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 75
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 2210.046
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp
lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy
bogomips        : 4422.77
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64