Re: confused about performance

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 04:40:52PM -0600, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
> My only benchmark is compiling our internal source tree (mostly running
> gcc, some g++, flex, bison, etc).  We're using gcc-4.1 and g++-4.1.
> I've tried it with a cold disk cache and hot disk cache, in both cases
> x86 is faster than x86_64.
>
> I was expecting a win for 64 bit.  What's going on here?

gcc on the x86 system generate x86 code and on the x86_64, it generates
x86_64 which is an entirely different job.  While it might make practical sense
to compare the two, it does not says anything on the relative speed of
the ports.  Try to compare programs that produce the exact same output
on both plateforms.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>