Re: No audio in my system for AMD-64 and Debian 40r0

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 03:40:47PM -0000, vidhya  shankar wrote:

> My system configuration AMD Athlon-64 X2 3600+ 2.01GHz dual core
> processor with ASUS motherboard and nVidia GeForce 6100 nForce 430
> videocard and nVidia MCP61P chipset for soundcard and ethernet. I have
> a dual boot configuration with Windows XP SP2 in 'C' drive and Debian
> 40r0 in 'I' drive.
>
> My problem is that there is no audio and audio does not work even
> though in system components I find my soundcard recognised with
> forcedeth driver. Whenever I start any audio software, it says that
> there are no gstreamer devices or plugins found. This problem I have
> faced in almost all Linux Distributions including Debian 40r0, open
> SUSE 10.2, Mandriva 2007 spring edition. Only in Ubuntu 7.04 I was
> able to get sound, but there were other problems like I could not get
> the GUI even in Live mode. The point is audio does not work in any of
> these Linux distributions. How do I make my system to recognise my
> audio devices and make the audio work.

You need to install the alsa packages and run alsaconf, then raise the
volume on the channels you need with alsa-mixer (they come muted by
default).

> My second problem is that I have to configure the ethernet card
> everytime I start my system and boot into Linux. This problem I faced
> with every Linux Installation. The previous configuration of ethernet
> card with the IP address, Gateway address and DNS address does not
> work. But when I configure this aftet I have booted I am able to
> access the internet. So how can I fix this problem?

How have you been configuring the ethernet?  If you just use ifconfig
directly, of course it doesn't remember.  You need to set up
/etc/network/interfaces then type #ifup -a

> My third problem is only with Debian. Whenever I access other
> partitions on my hard drive except the one in which I have installed
> the Linux, it says that permission not granted and whenever I see the
> properties for these partitions I see that they are not mounted. What
> can I do about this? Is this a bug in Debian or I have not configured
> my desktop properly?

Send us a copy of your /etc/fstab.  You need an entry for all the
partitions in there with a user option so that you don't have to be root
and do it manually all the time.

Doug.