Date: 14 Jun 2007 15:40:47 -0000
From: vidhya  shankar <aeroranger@rediffmail.com>
To: debian-amd64@lists.debian.org
Subject: No audio in my system for AMD-64 and Debian 40r0

Hi,

My system configuration AMD Athlon-64 X2 3600+ 2.01GHz dual core processor with ASUS motherboard and nVidia GeForce 6100 nForce 430 videocard and nVidia MCP61P chipset for soundcard and ethernet. I have a dual boot configuration with Windows XP SP2 in 'C' drive and Debian 40r0 in 'I' drive.

My problem is that there is no audio and audio does not work even though in system components I find my soundcard recognised with forcedeth driver. Whenever I start any audio software, it says that there are no gstreamer devices or plugins found. This problem I have faced in almost all Linux Distributions including Debian 40r0, open SUSE 10.2, Mandriva 2007 spring edition. Only in Ubuntu 7.04 I was able to get sound, but there were other problems like I could not get the GUI even in Live mode. The point is audio does not work in any of these Linux distributions. How do I make my system to recognise my audio devices and make the audio work.

My second problem is that I have to configure the ethernet card everytime I start my system and boot into Linux. This problem I faced with every Linux Installation. The previous configuration of ethernet card with the IP address, Gateway address and DNS address does not work. But when I configure this aftet I have booted I am able to access the internet. So how can I fix this problem?

My third problem is only with Debian. Whenever I access other partitions on my hard drive except the one in which I have installed the Linux, it says that permission not granted and whenever I see the properties for these partitions I see that they are not mounted. What can I do about this? Is this a bug in Debian or I have not configured my desktop properly?

Kindly help me. I am a Linux novice and new to Linux.

Thanks and regards,

VidhyaShankar.N