Re: deciding on a new amd64 system

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 11:13:36PM -0700, Alexandru Cardaniuc wrote:
> With what motherboard ?

Well if I was building a really nice game machine I would get the Asus
Striker Extreme.  But the Asus M2N32-SLI is a bit more sane.  If I
decided that SLI was never going to be of interest, I would probably
just get one of the Asus P5B series with the i965 chipset.

> EN7600GT SILENT/2DHT/256M ?
>
> or
>
> EN7600GT/2DHT/256M ?
>
> or
>
> EN7600GT/HTDI/256M ?

I guess it depends on the price, and what type of connectors you need.
Silent sounds nice, although even a plain 7600GT is usually rather
quiet.

It does look like a number of companies are replacing the 7600GT with
the 8600GT now.  Not sure how they compare.  I think nvidia has driver
support for the 8xxx series in linux by now, but I am not sure.

> Any particular screen in mind ?

Well the Dell 3007WFP-HC looks nice, but probably the Dell 2007FP or the
2407WFP are more reasonable.  My father uses a 2007FP and it is a very
nice panel.

> Well, after reading all the comments to my initial post, I reconsidered
> :) So, I am not buying Dell anymore. I decided to buy the parts and
> build it myself.

Usually gives the best result.  And it's great fun to assemble things
yourself.