Re: deciding on a new amd64 system

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:15:06PM +0200, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
> I'm also inquiring about hardware for a new system.
> Based on previous posts (with some replacements for parts I didn't
> readily found in the closest shop), here is my tentative list (with
> alternative choices):
>
> CPU             Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
> CPU             AMD Athlon64 5000
> RAM             1024MB DDR2-6400 800Mhz
> Fan             Zalman CNPS9500

Stock fans actually work quite well, are very quiet, and unless you
intend to do serious overclocking, I wouldn't bother with a seperate
fan.

I would pick the Core 2 over the Athlon 64 at this time.  The Core 2 is
a more modern design and performs better.  The Athlon 64 is still nice,
but it isn't a match for the Core 2.

> MB (Intel CPU)  Asus P5N32-E SLI + S775 DualX16 FSB1333 FW GbLan
> MB (Intel CPU)  Intel Mbo DP965LT-Skt LGA775/1066/DDR2-800/SATA/IDE/1394
> MB (AMD CPU)    Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe-AM2/SATA/Wifi/DDR2-800/G

I have only bought Asus boards since 1993 now, and have no intension of
changing.  The one intel board I have dealt with at a previous job
didn't last very long before it died.  I was unimpressed.  Asus seems to
have much more thought out board designs.  Nothing wrong with the intel
chipset though.  I used an Asus P5B in the last machine I built (for my
sister) and it just works.

> HDD             WD 320GB SATA
> HDD             WD 160GB SATA
> HDD             Seagate 160GB 8MB SATA-II
> HDD             Seagate 320GB 16MB SATA-II

I would certainly go for the WD drives.  I have used many WD3200KS
drives, as well as some 250 and 500GB versions.

> Case	        Silverstone TJ01-SI (No power supply)
> Case	        Antec Atlas (TruePower Trio 550W)
> Power	        Fortron Blue Storm 500W 23dB
> Power	        Silverstone ST50EF-Plus (recommended)

I have lately been very happy with silverstone cases and power supplies.
Machine so quiet you have to check the power light to make sure you
actually turned it on.

I really like the TJ04-B and the TJ09 (for a large system).  Silverstone
power supplies use very large fans which make almost no sound.  Very
high build quality too.

> Graphics        Asus Extreme N7600GT Silencer 256MB

7600GT is a very nice card.  Good performance for the money.

> Screen          Samsung 205BW
> Screen          Samsung SyncMaster 226BW (recommended)

I never did like samsung screens.

> Screen          ViewSonic VG2230wm

Viewsonic has usually done well for me.

> Headset	        Plantronics 340
> Microphone      Plantronics Audio 15

I have no idea on those.  I use a 10 year old set of rather nice sony
head phones, and I have a pair of JBL Multimedia Pro speakers that sound
amazing and cost $10 (Didn't make much sense to me).

> Keyboard        Cherry Cymotion Expert G86 Black USB
> Mouse	        Logitech MX40 Laser

I tend to stick with some logitech mouse and keyboard.  Sometimes a
wireless combo like the mx3200 or similar.

> Is there some reason to avoid some of the above HW (e.g. no linux support,
> bad components,...)?

I think everything on your list has linux support.

> What would be the preferred choice (for CPU, MB, HDD, case, screen, power
> supply, fans)?  Is it safe to assume that currently, an AMD CPU performance
> is equivalent to an Intel CPU at about the same price?

No I wouldn't assume that.  And remember the cost you pay is for a whole
system, not just the cpu.  After all if $100 extra gives you double the
performance, and the whole system costs $1000, is the extra $100 worth
it?  I would think it is, but for some people that don't need the extra
performance, it might not be.

Of course you can get a stupid little Athlon 64 X2 3600+ system from
dell for $399CDN at the moment.  Hard to beat that price/performance
ratio.  Of course it is a Dell, so who knows... :)