Re: schroot boot up messages

Seb,

On Tuesday 29 May 2007 10:05, Seb wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2007 09:50:46 -0500,
> C M Reinehr <cmr@amsent.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Add the '-v' option to your schroot command and review the diagnostic
> > output.  This will give you a better idea of what's going on. If you
> > can't figure out what's happening, send us a copy of your command line
> > including the diagnostic output along with a copy of your
> > /etc/schroot/schroot.conf file.
>
> Thank you and Hamish for your feedback.  In fact, this is happening at
> system boot up, not when I schroot into my chroot (I guess this is the
> Hamish too).  I only have a single chroot, and this is my
> /etc/schroot/schroot.conf:

	Ok, I understand where you are now. I had the same thing happen to me. I
didn't take the time to figure out exactly what was wrong but I figured out
how to make it go away. Maybe someone else more experienced or knowledgeable
with schroot can jump in to help.

	When schroot setups up a chroot environment it builds a chroot
in /var/lib/schroot. Under the directory mount it creates a new directory
using a concatenation of the chroot name and a unique identifier. (I haven't
taken the time to figure out the means.) That's the alphanumeric code that
you're seeing.) Schroot also creats a file of the same name under the
directory session.

	When things work correctly, all of this is removed after you exit the chroot,
but for some reason (with type=plain I believe) things are not getting
shutdown & removed correctly. Here, I first noticed it when I ran a `mount`
command to see what was mounted and noticed all of these old schroot sessions
were still mounted. What's more, they would not `umount` because of some
active process. (Can't remember the name now.) I finally was able to clean
things up by switching into single-user/maintenance mode and removing all of
the mount & session entries. In the process, I CLOBBERED MY CHROOT DIRECTORY!

	Anyway, when I rebuilt the chroot I switched to type=directory and everything
has been working just fine.

	I know this is incomplete but I have to leave in just a few minutes (and
don't know a whole lot more, anyway!) but I hope it points you in the right
direction. Here's a copy of my schroot.conf file:

	[etch-i386]
	type=directory
	description=Debian etch (stable) 32-bit
	priority=1
	users=cmr
	groups=cmr
	aliases=default
	run-setup-scripts=true
	run-exec-scripts=true
	personality=linux_32bit
	location=/var/chroot/etch-i386

Cheers!

cmr

--
Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------