deciding on a new amd64 system

Hi All!

I've been using HP Pavilion zv5260 as a desktop replacement for a while
and now decided to get a real desktop. I am not sure if I should build a
new box myself or buy a pre-built one. I need a home workstation that is
going to be used primarily for writing and debugging code, browsing
internet, occasionally watching dvds. I don't edit video and don't play
video games. So, I figured that I don't need that powerful and expensive
computer. In this case does it make sense to build one myself?

I googled and found that Dell offers Dimension n Series E521.
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/e510_nseries?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

It comes with no Windows OS preinstalled. And Dell claims that it is
"ready" to work under linux.

Does anybody here have this machine? Are there any compatibility issues?
I plan to use it with Debian Etch. Etch comes with linux kernel 2.6.18

Googling I found out about a problem with USB freezing mice and
keyboards, but it seems that this problem was solved with BIOS update
that Dell issued in January, 2007. Google doesn't show any more problems
with it...

I am thinking about choosing these parts:
Dell Dimension E521N 	AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+

Operating System: FreeDOS included in the box, ready to install

Memory 	1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs

Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse

19 inch SP1908FP Silver Flat Panel Monitor TrueLife (Glossy Screen)

256MB NVIDIA Geforce 7300LE TurboCache

Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache

No Floppy Drive Included

Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

Modem 	56K PCI Data Fax Modem

CD ROM/DVD ROM 	16x DVD+/-RW Drive

Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Speakers Dell AS501 10W Flat Panel Attached Spkrs for UltraSharp Flat
Panels

Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 1Yr In-Home Service,
Parts + Labor - Next Business Day*

FREE GROUND SHIPPING!

Total Price (taxes included) 		$757.30

It seems like the price is right. Before I always built computers
myself, but now would I actually be able to build a box myself for this
price ? Well, I don't necessarily want cheap, I just don't need a very
powerful machine for what I am using it...

Any advices or suggestions will be very appreciated!

Thanks in advance...

--
Registered Linux user number 402184. Get counted! http://counter.li.org