Re: LibGL

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 08:18:59PM +0100, Leopold Palomo Avellaneda wrote:
> I begin to understand. But, if I link a program with -lGL, which one use:
> libGL.so.1 or libGL.so ?

libGL.so since you are compiling.  Since libGL.so is a symlink to
libGL.so.1 in this case, it will end up having a runtime requirement of
libGL.so.1, the libGL.so is simply there so that the linker can find it
based on -lGL and of course the opengl.h header matters too, since it
should match the library.  That is why the nvidia-glx init.d script
checks if mesa-dev is installed, in which case it makes libGL.so a link
to the xlibmesa version of libGL.so.1 and otherwise if nvidia-glx-dev is
installed instead then it makes libGL.so a link to the nvidia version of
libGL.so.1, and if neither is installed, you get no libGL.so at all,
since without headers you are in no state to compile stuff anyhow.

> Ok, but it's only a problem of the extensions, not a "normal" and compatible
> code, no?

Sure.  You have to explictly ask to use the extensions in your code for it
to be a problem.