Re: AMD64 on Virtual PC

* Jack Nespor <jacknespor@gmail.com> [2007-02-24 15:10]:
> When trying to install debian AMD64 on a virtual PC, I get the
> following message: Your CPU does not support long mode.  Use a
> 32-bit distribution.  The hardware on my computer is as
> follows:
> 1.) Athlon AMD64
> 2.) 512 MB of RAM
>·
> Is this problem with the amount of RAM and/or hard drive space
> I have specified for this virtual machine?  Has anyone
> successfully installed debian AMD64 on a Microsoft's Virtual PC
> 2007?

The problem is that MS Virtual PC 2007 does not include support
for a 64-bit guest OS:

"This release of Virtual PC 2007 supports 64-bit host operating
systems. However, there is no support for 64-bit guest operating
systems."

<http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/4/c/44ccd131-67fb-422
4-a96e-193be1765b43/relnotes.htm>

QEMU on the other hand does support x86-64 as a guest (and ARM,
SPARC, PPC, MIPS...) and is Free Software, so I would suggest
using that rather than the MS product.

Cheers,

Andrew Preater