Re: AMD64 on Virtual PC

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 07:57:34AM -0700, Jack Nespor wrote:
> When trying to install debian AMD64 on a virtual PC, I get the following
> message: Your CPU does not support long mode.  Use a 32-bit distribution.
> The hardware on my computer is as follows:
> 1.) Athlon AMD64
> 2.) 512 MB of RAM
>
> Is this problem with the amount of RAM and/or hard drive space I have
> specified for this virtual machine?  Has anyone successfully installed
> debian AMD64 on a Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007?

That is probably a question that should be asked to Microsoft.  However,
does Virtual PC virtualize the host CPU?  Is your host OS 64-bit?  If
your host OS is not 64-bit, then there is probably not an easy way to
virtualize the CPU in such a way that you can use a 64-bit OS on it.  In
that case, you probably want to use QEMU, which will emulate the CPU
entirely.  Performance is not as good, but it allows you to run a 64-bit
guest on a 32-bit host.

Regards,

-Roberto

--