Re: Sys will boot from floppy but not from HD

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 06:01:28PM -0600, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:
> I have an old problem that I now wish to fix since I have just upgraded
> my file server.  I can boot the server from a floppy but when I try to
> boot directly from the Hard Drive all I get is 01 01 01 01 ...
>
> I have booted from the floppy and rerun lilo -v
> OUTPUT:
> Reading boot sector from /dev/hda1
> Merging with /boot/boot-menu-b ...
>
> I have checked and  /dev/hda1 is bootable
>
> in lilo.conf
>
> boot = /dev/hda1
> root = /dev/hda1
>
> What should I try next?

You may have an old copy of lilo in the MBR.  Try installing the package
mbr and running install-mbr /dev/hda to replace the MBR with a generic
'boot the active partition' loader.  Or you could move the boot loader
to the MBR by changing boot= to /dev/hda.

It is also possible you are having a disk geometry issue caused to an
ancient bios (no idea what machine you are using or what size disk you
have).  Sometimes adding 'lba32' to lilo.conf can deal with disks over a
certain size.  Or you could use grub which is intelligent enough to
figure that out on its own.  Of course if the BIOS doesn't do LBA for
booting, then you have to ensure the boot loader and the boot partition
with the kernel is entirely within the first 1024 cylinders of the disk.