Re: Sys will boot from floppy but not from HD

A J Stiles wrote:
On Monday 19 February 2007 00:01, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:

Hey all,

I have an old problem that I now wish to fix since I have just upgraded
my file server.  I can boot the server from a floppy but when I try to
boot directly from the Hard Drive all I get is 01 01 01 01 ...

I have booted from the floppy and rerun lilo -v
OUTPUT:
Reading boot sector from /dev/hda1
Merging with /boot/boot-menu-b ...

I have checked and  /dev/hda1 is bootable

in lilo.conf

boot = /dev/hda1
root = /dev/hda1

Just checked my lilo.conf on another machine  (not my 64-bit one, which is
using grub)  and this has:

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda3

(I've a small /boot partition and a swap partition in hda1 and hda2
respectively, so hda3 is the root partition).

I think you normally want lilo to install in the MBR, which would be /dev/hda
and not hda1.  You only install lilo into an actual partition if you are
using it as a secondary bootstrap loader which gets called up by some other
bootstrap loader (such as Windows' NTLDR).  If you're single-booting Debian
then you definitely want lilo installed in the MBR.

It's easy to fix; just boot from some other media, mount your usual drives
under some convenient mountpoint, chroot to there, run lilo and remember to
EXIT FROM THE CHROOT WITH CTRL+D before you reboot.  (If you don't exit the
chroot, the changes you made could get lost.)

You also need to mount /dev and /proc in the chroot. Commands will look something like this:

mkdir /mychroot/dev
mkdir /mychroot/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mychroot/dev
mount proc -t proc /mychroot/proc