Fwd: worth a bug?

I forgot to mention the error message that was issued
on crash of the computational procedure alluded to on
previous mail as reported below:

Read Failed
int2e_buf_read:asynch IO failed     1301

To this regard, I am receiving the suggestion that
probably there was an I/O issue with the swap, either
because the swap was full or because of hardware
problems.

The computational procedure was going on strongly
before the crash, and, restarted, is continuing
strongly. I must say that I never emptied or
maintained anyway the swap, which was set 7GB on
installation of debian amd64 etch. Ram 8GB. Now I am
expanding to 16GB ram. Is that swap still OK? I know
that the old rule of swap size vs ram is difficult to
follow (or needs not be followed?) today with the
large mem modules, nonetheless, given the huge size of
computing hessians and hamiltonians, I think the two
questions may still be posed:

---Cleaning the swap from time to time?

---Swap size with respect to ram size?

Posing the question to Tyan Europe is useless, because
they refused to answer far simpler questions on a
previous occasion (they said: Linux OS not supported),
while Tyan Taiwan did not answer at all.

Thanks for your kind attention
francesco pietra