Re: Fresh Install Problems

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
smugzilla <smugzilla@sbcglobal.net> writes:

I'm trying a fresh install of debian on my old Athlon 64 3200 box and
this one is not proceeding as smoothly as the previous one. The
initial install is smooth enough (I'm not even trying to install gnome
yet) but I'm having problems as soon as I try to upgrade to
sid. Basically the chain of events looks like this:

1. After the initial install I'm running kernel
2.6.8-12-em64t-p4-smp. I have no idea why I appear to have an
smp-enabled kernel, but this is what I get when doing a basic install
without tweaking the default settings.
2. I change my repositories to point to sid at Arizona.
3. apt-get update runs fine...
4. But when I run apt-get dist-upgrade I get a prompt with a warning
that essentially says "You are running a kernel and attempting to
remove the same version." I choose "No" when asked if I really want to
remove the running kernel, then get two more error messages:
"dpkg: error procecssing kernel-image-2.6.8.12..."
"dpkg: initrd-tools: dependency problems, but removing anyway"

After this my system seems pretty hosed: initrd-tools is gone and so I
can't install any non-trivial packages and base-config is gone. Where
did I screw up, and how do I fix this? Doing a fresh install and
starting again from scratch is definitely an option here.

That doesn't realy sound like anything is wrong. Kernel 2.6.8 is to be
replaced by 2.6.18, initrdtools by initramfs or yaird or something
else more modern and base-config is no more.

The only problem is that removing kernel-image-2.6.8.12... fails and
without further details it is hard to say why. I guess it is that the
package is broken, which would be a serious problem to handle. Please
file a bug about it on the kernel-image-2.6.8.12.... package with more
info.

As a workaround try installing a newer kernel from sid before you do
an upgrade. Then, after an reboot, remove the old one. Once you
managed that go on and upgrade.

MfG
        Goswin

That brings me to my next question: why are the kernel naming conventions inconsistent? uname -r says I am currently running 2.6.8-em64t-p4-smp but no corresponding version of kernel 2.6.18 is available from Arizona's sid repository. They do have a version for amd64, which is what I would have thought I needed, but now I'm confused. What kernel flavor am I looking for, assuming that my CPU is an old Athlon 64?

Pete