Re: AMD64 show stoppers

On 01/16/07 07:42:29PM -0600, Karl Schmidt wrote:
> Add your show stopper to this thread...
>
> First on the list is the java browser pluging - the black down java
> sort-of-works(tm) (not a Debian package)

Since Sun's GPL'ing Java that'll probably be taken care of in the future,
but the chances of it making it into Etch are slim. But frankly I don't see
the problem.

> Next is flash  - you can sort of workaround it by using switftfox (comes
> with bugs)(not a Debian package)

Same here, I like the fact that my browser doesn't have flash. I do keep a
32-bit chroot around 'just in case' I need it, but that's pretty rare.

> But the biggest problem for me is that there isn't a AMD64 nvu package. The
> author abandoned it to work on a replacement package, but in the mean time
> there isn't a good WYSIWYG html editor for web development.  (Sorry, but
> quanta just isn't in the same league and OO makes bloat-code out of clean
> html).

nvu doesn't exist at all in Debian as far as I can tell, so that's not
AMD64-specific. But there does seem to be nvu packages in Ubuntu and they
even have AMD64 builds, so you could try building it yourself or rebuilding
the Ubuntu source packages if you really want it.

> IMHO etch as a amd64 server is fine - but the Desktop has holes

The Linux desktop in general has holes, but IMO Etch itself is fine. I've
been using the AMD64 port on this machine since I built it a few months
ago and haven't had a single problem.

Jim.