Re: acroread on amd64

Jerome BENOIT <jgmbenoit@mailsnare.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Gudjon I. Gudjonsson wrote:
>> Hi
>>    I use acroread in chroot does that not work for you?
>

> I am migrating from i386 to amd64:
> `chroot' stuff is certainly the best way,
> but the idea to have a second system to maintain on my box afraid me.
> As I really need only a couple of 32bits applications
> (acroread and maple in fact),
> I prefer to play with the `/emul' stuff.
>
> Jerome

You can build acroread for amd64 if you simply add the architecture in
debian/control and compile. You should also add ia32-libs,
libc6-dev-i386 and ia32-libs-gtk to the Build-Depends (or at least
have them installed).

Once build and installed all that remains are bugs in ia32-libs-gtk,
or rather the 32bit libgtk2.0 and libpango. I filed bugs about both of
them. As workaround the exports will do. Same problem happens with
vmware or any other 32bit gtk app.

MfG
        Goswin