Re: Broadcom/Serverworks chipsets (was Re: a few simple questions about AMD64 version of Debian)

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 01:47:51PM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
> > Has someone experience with k8 Broadcom/Serverworks chips?
>
> Excellent question.  I'd be interested in hearing from people that have
> used/tried motherboards using this chipset.  It appears to be the only
> other choice in server boards if once avoids nForce boards.

I'm running a K8SSA (S3870), it is completely supported by the kernel
but it is not as stable as I hoped.

There are occasional lockups that appear to be related to the (s)ata
controller (still running 2.6.16.x)

I specifically got this board for it's legacy PCI slots, but not all PCI
cards will work (can't get firewire or cardbus to work). I have no idea
if that is a kernel problem (most likely for the cardbus controller) or
with the systemboard (IOMMU related I guess).

The TARO/SAS expansion is kind of supported since 2.6.19, but the rc
releases didn't have support for SATA on the SAS controller (AIC9140). I
hoped to use this relatively cheap controller to drive lots of disks.

--

 When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

   Daniel Tryba