Re: a few simple questions about AMD64 version of Debian

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 12:36:17PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 05:27:42PM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> > Thanks, but suppose that I don't have enough money to buy the Core 2 Duo
> > barebones box at ?350 ($700) but I can afford an AMD Sempron 3000 box at
> > ?139 ($280).  Would you prefer the AMD Sempron over a similarly priced
> > Intel Celeron 2.8 GHz?
>
> Yes, because anything based on the netburst architecture is baned from
> my purchases.  I am not sure I would even buy anything with such a
> limited budget, which may explain why my own personal machine is still
> an athlon 700 :)  Meanwhile my wife has an athlon 64 mobile 3200+
> laptop, my sister just got a Core 2 Duo 6400 for xmas, and the machien I
> am building for my farther to run CAD in a couple of months will be
> either the Core 2 Duo 6600 or 6700.
>
> The machine for my sister came to $1100CDN before taxes, which was for a
> Core 2 Duo 6400, 1GB DDR2-PC6400 ram, P5B motherboard, 7600GT video
> card, TJ04 case, 360W power supply, and a logitech MX3200 cordless
> desktop.  To me cutting of even $100 from that made the machine overall
> a lot worse, so I didn't.  There is a huge difference between a $700
> machine and a $1000 machine.  I have a hard time imagining the obsolete
> components in a $300 machine.   Given when things go wrong later, I will
> be the one fixing it, I value my time too much to put up with that.

For $1200 CDN I got a CM-stacker case with all the optional fans, CM
iGreen 600 W PSU, Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe (AM2), Athlon 3800+, 1 GB 800 DDR2
stick of ram (I know its only half the bandwidth until I add a second
stick), Asus EN7300GT silent video, and dual Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA
drives.  Barely wispers.  Case internal temp is ambient, CPU and GPU sit
at 41C.  I could have gone slightly cheaper but it would have cut into
my perception of longevity (smaller case, fewer fans).

Personally, since my time isn't money, if you only have less than $200
to spend, you may be better buying a dirt-cheap off-lease box.  Just
have dual drives in raid1 to save yourself some headache if a drive
dies.

What about telling us your design criteria.  Without that, if you just
want a blazingly fast computer system, buy a Cray or Beowolf cluster :-)

Doug.