Re: a few simple questions about AMD64 version of Debian

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 05:27:42PM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> Thanks, but suppose that I don't have enough money to buy the Core 2 Duo
> barebones box at ?350 ($700) but I can afford an AMD Sempron 3000 box at
> ?139 ($280).  Would you prefer the AMD Sempron over a similarly priced
> Intel Celeron 2.8 GHz?

Yes, because anything based on the netburst architecture is baned from
my purchases.  I am not sure I would even buy anything with such a
limited budget, which may explain why my own personal machine is still
an athlon 700 :)  Meanwhile my wife has an athlon 64 mobile 3200+
laptop, my sister just got a Core 2 Duo 6400 for xmas, and the machien I
am building for my farther to run CAD in a couple of months will be
either the Core 2 Duo 6600 or 6700.

The machine for my sister came to $1100CDN before taxes, which was for a
Core 2 Duo 6400, 1GB DDR2-PC6400 ram, P5B motherboard, 7600GT video
card, TJ04 case, 360W power supply, and a logitech MX3200 cordless
desktop.  To me cutting of even $100 from that made the machine overall
a lot worse, so I didn't.  There is a huge difference between a $700
machine and a $1000 machine.  I have a hard time imagining the obsolete
components in a $300 machine.   Given when things go wrong later, I will
be the one fixing it, I value my time too much to put up with that.

> For little more $320 I could get a Pentium P4 box OR for a little more $350
> I can get an Athlon 64 3500 box.
>
> (The prices and choices are on the novatech web site) www.novatech.co.uk
>
> Your opinions on the best box are appreciated.

If the choice is between a Sempron and a Celeron, the Sempron is the one
to get.