Re: a few simple questions about AMD64 version of Debian

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 13:00:09 +0100, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> But there is an old opteron 940 pin board that is going out of fashion
> and a new AM2 940 pin  board coming  in....
>
> Can both of these let you add a wad of RAM to them?

Yes. I'd go for the AM2 though.

> How hard is it to install Etch AMD64 on a box relative to an i386 box?

Exactly the same, you'll not notice any difference. Being AMD64 i386
compatible, you'll be able to install a chroot to run x86 only
applications, proprietary stuff mainly.

> Has OpenOffice been ported to AMD64 yet?

Yes, and it works decently well.

> I want to buy myself a box that will last a long time.

Then I guess you're on the right path, but it's hard to tell surely :)

--
Best Regards, Jack
Linux User #264449