a few simple questions about AMD64 version of Debian

Dear AMD folks,

I use the i386 versions of Sarge 3.1r3 and lately Etch RC1.

I thought to buy myself an AMD 64 bit machine.

I want to get a box that can have e.g. 10GB of RAM added to it.

I noticed that some opteron machines exist on the internet with 10GB of RAM on them.

Someone said that you need the 940 pin motherboard to be able to add a lot of RAM.

But there is an old opteron 940 pin board that is going out of fashion and a new AM2 940 pin board coming in....

Can both of these let you add a wad of RAM to them?

How hard is it to install Etch AMD64 on a box relative to an i386 box?

Has OpenOffice been ported to AMD64 yet?

I want to buy myself a box that will last a long time. So if in 5 years time you need 5GB of RAM to run gnome and OO properly with the latest release of Debian I can take what would be an older box but make use of the 64 bit architecture to let me add more RAM than the 32 bit would ever allow you to do because of its physical limitations.

Comments appreciated.

Regards,

Michael Fothergill

If you are developers on this site I hope this is not too dumb a question.
If it is I won't post anything else on this site.

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free! http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/?locale=en-gb