Re: kernel 2.6.19: system freeze with blinking CapsLock and ScrollLock leds

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 05:43:18AM -0800, Max A. wrote:
> I'm having trouble with the recently released kernel 2.6.19 from
> kernel.org. With kernel 2.6.19 installed (my custom build from
> sources), my system freezes at random points within several hours
> after reboot.
> A noticeable symptom is blinking CapsLock and ScrollLock keybord leds
> (but not NumLock).
> Does anybody observe anything similar?

I believe those LEDs blink when the kernel panics.  If you are not
running X at the time you should see the panic on the screen, otherwise
it can be tricky to get unless you have a serial console or some other
way to dump the console messages when the system dies.

> I've got such freeze at least 4 times during last two days. So I
> switched back to 2.6.18 which is known to work flawlessly for weeks.

Well the good news is that if the kernel panics, it knows something went
wrong and can tell you what it is.  That is much better than a freeze
since a freeze tells you nothing.