etch installer and dm-crypt

Hi,

during my next debian etch-install I want to give the facility to
encrypt my hdd a try.

Now I read in the installation-howto, that it's recommended to set up
one partition for every encrypted mount-point, like /var /tmp and /home.

This section of the howto
-----------------------
If you created encrypted volumes during the installation and assigned
them mount points, you will be asked to enter the passphrase for each of
these volumes during the boot. The actual procedure differs slightly
between dm-crypt and loop-AES.
-----------------------
made me a little unhappy with this pocedure. If I understand this right,
I would have to type a passphrase 4 times during the system boot:
3 times to access encrypted partitions and 1 time to login... this
sounds a lot not userfriendly.

Is there a way to set all this up, and to type the passphrase once for
all the encrypted volumes?
Or to make the system bootable with a key on a usb-stick inserted in
it's slot during the boot?

I didn't find very useful hints on the web. And if there is no
practical solution, I think I'd better leave it all unencrypted...

Any possibilities known here by anyone?

Regards,
sigi.