Re: Fist-time amd64 installation, some questions

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

For amd64 there is no benefit in optimization for the specific cpu
since there aren't any more different models than amd64 and em46t
anyway. So the "only" benefit you get from a custom kernel is possibly
no initrd (that's why I use my own kernel) and less disk space as you
can kick unwanted modules.

There is also one more benefit, which may be crucial sometimes: you may need
to apply some patches which are not applied in the stock debian kernels.
While this is probably getting less and less frequent, it still happens and
is actually the boon of open source, isnt't it? That said, however, I do
agree that if you don't need abything which is not in the stock debian
kernels then there is very little reason to roll your own one.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.