Re: Fist-time amd64 installation, some questions

Jan De Luyck <ml_debianamd64_20060630@kcore.org> writes:

> On Sunday 27 August 2006 20:48, Jack Malmostoso wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:40:04 +0200, Jan De Luyck wrote:
>> > Any pointers are most welcome!
>>
>> The first question is: why do you compile your own kernel? Isn't the
>> Debian one enough?
>
> I tend to follow-up a bit more quickly with new kernel releases than the
> Debian-kernel does, and often try the -rc kernels too. (and I keep the pieces
> if it breaks :p)

Can't wait a day for the debian kernel upload. tssss. :)

> I also like more 'specific' kernels too - geared to the specific system, than
> using a global one-size-fits-all one. Maybe I'm misguided on this for AMD64,
> no idea.

For amd64 there is no benefit in optimization for the specific cpu
since there aren't any more different models than amd64 and em46t
anyway. So the "only" benefit you get from a custom kernel is possibly
no initrd (that's why I use my own kernel) and less disk space as you
can kick unwanted modules.

> Concerning the USB problem, appareantely my system needs the usb_ohci module,
> which I forgot to compile along. So that one is fixed.
>
> The only things remaining now are the weird errors. And getting X to work. And
> so on :) but that's all rather trivial when you've got a good kernel to start
> from.
>
>> Does everything work OK with the Debian kernel?
> Good question, I'd have to check actually.

Do check that. If it doesn't report bugs. If it does then try&error
until you find the option that makes the difference.

> Thanks for the answers,
>
> Jan

MfG
        Goswin