Re: How to get the right source

On Friday 28 July 2006 09:25, Bill Ranck wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 10:56 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 09:43:54AM -0400, Bill Ranck wrote:
> > > Hello folks,
> > >    I am new to the 64 bit stuff and I need to rebuild my kernel for
> > > multiple processors.
> >
> > Why not just install the amd64-k8-smp kernel that comes with the
> > distribution?
>
> Thanks to everyone who responded.  Our local policy is that we rebuild
> all linux kernels without loadable kernel modules.  So, I have to
> rebuild the kernel anyway, and I need to add the smp support as well.

Then you  need to go into Processor type and features then select the
symmetric multi-processor support. When it comes to the compile line use
something like "fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=-smp kernel_image"
without the quotes of course so that you will have the kernel named with -smp
in it.

> --
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.