Re: How to get the right source

On Thursday 27 July 2006 11:37, Jaime Ochoa Malagón wrote:
> On 7/27/06, Stephen Cormier <s.cormier@gmx.net> wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 July 2006 10:43, Bill Ranck wrote:
> > > Hello folks,
> > >    I am new to the 64 bit stuff and I need to rebuild my kernel for
> > > multiple processors.  I know I should apt-get the source packages, but
> > > which packages and from where?  My /etc/apt/sources.list has the
> > > following:
> > > deb http://debian.csail.mit.edu/debian-amd64/debian sarge main contrib
> > > deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
> > >
> > >    I have installed am running this on a Dell 2650 with Intel
> > > processors.  Here is the uname -a line:
> > > Linux ripberger 2.6.12-1-amd64-generic #1 Fri Jul 22 18:12:08 CEST 2005
> > > x86_64 GNU/Linux
> > >
> > >    I assume that I just need to download the kernel sources, do the
> > > "make menuconfig" thing and make the new kernel from there.  Any other
> > > cautions or suggestions?
> >
> > You can install a Debian kernel with smp support use "apt-cache search
> > kernel-image smp" without the quotes to see the available images for
> > install you would want one of the ones with em64t in the name.
>
> I belive should be linux-image instead of kernel-image or this is
> false to sarge?
> sorry if thats the case I have only sid...

As I recall it the change to linux-image happened after the Sarge release,
actually just checked my install kernel is still named the old way.

apt-cache policy kernel-image-2.6.8-11-amd64-generic
kernel-image-2.6.8-11-amd64-generic:
  Installed: 2.6.8-14
  Candidate: 2.6.8-14
  Version table:
 *** 2.6.8-14 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

BTW no need to CC me I read this list, thanks.

Stephen

--
GPG Pubic Key: http://users.eastlink.ca/~stephencormier/publickey.asc