Re: apparent crashes persist.

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 03:22:18PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
On Friday 23 June 2006 14:16, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> It's been a while now, about five months and I still haven't gor my
> AMD64 working properly
> Evidently, something is hogging some critical resource, possibly the CPU
> (the usual suspect) but it could also be a networking resource, since
> that's what the mouse and ssh seem to have in common
> When logged in locally using the X server it crashes.  I suspect a
> measure of software involvement in the crashes, because when I upgraded
> the nvidia drivers from 1.0.8756-1 to 1.0.8762-2 and also upgraded the
> kernel from 2.6.12 to 2.6.15  the crashes became less frequent.

After much further trying (documented to some extent in this thread) I'm
back to suspecting the software again.  I've summarized the state of
affairs as it's known as of now and filed it as a bug against xorg:

  bug #379480: Mouse and partial keyboard freeze on AMD64

Somehow the pattern of failure seems wrong for a hardware problem --
not really random enough, it seems to affect things that (I think)
are different pieces of hardware (USB mouse and pre-PS2 keyboard), and
it affects things differently that (I think) are the same piece of
hardware (i.e. different keyboard keys behave differently after the
"crash").

Advice on tracking it down, and experiences others have on ASUS
A8N-VM-UAYGZ motherboards are still very welcome, of course, but perhaps
I should move this discussion to the xorg mainling list.

-- hendrik