Re: get rid of landlord

On Saturday 22 July 2006 14:58, Alexander Sieck wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 07:47:22AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > Netinstall with daily build 20 July, mirror ftp.uni-koeln.de, install
> > --Desktop environment
> > --Standard system
> >
> > whereby I got gnome and I have not yet found a way to get rid of it (or,
> > preferably, set it aside, to use it for e-mail should my i386 machine go
> > down).
>
> Hi Francesco,
>
> Fyi: Selecting "Desktop environment" during install is responsible
> for having gnome and automatic start of it.
Hi Alex
That was clear. On previous beta2 install, "desktop environment" installed X
system only, neither kde nor gnome. This is why I dropped into the trap (if
it is a trap at all).
> If you want a minimum system, it is better to install nothing
> besides the Standard system and select later only the required
> packages.
> $> aptitude purge gnome xdm ...
> should also work, if you do not run into dependency problems.
I am looking instead at
etc/rc#.d
how to stop services. I never looked at that before but it seems that gnome,
can be stopped from rc4.d. It may be useful to get knowledge of rc#.d instead
of going by trial and error as I did before, succeding in having X system at
command.

At any event, I dislike this pre-beta3 installation disk (daily built).
Particularly for 64bit - where most people come for the base system to be
used for crushing numbers - I preferred previous beta 2.

Who is coming to 64bit, and the cost of running dual opterons, for running
gnome, open office, etc that run perfectly at much lower cost at 32bit?

cheers
francesco