Re: failure to start kernel k8-smp

Francesco Pietra wrote:
> If this is the situation, I hope that a suggestion will come whether to
> unistall (I still have the generic kernel)
>  linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp
> and install
>  linux-image-2.6.16-1-amd64-k8-smp
> should it exist. Why replacement does not occur on
> #aptitude upgrdade
> ?
<..snip..>

Aptitude will upgrade a kernel of the same revision in place (it will
replace 2.6.16-18 with 2.6.16-19) but when the kernel version is
upgraded (2.6.16 to 2.6.17), it adds the new kernel to the existing
kernel.  This is so that if you have problems with the new kernel, you
still have a working kernel on your box that you can go back to.  If you
are using any modules that are not part of the kernel (nvidia, ati,
etc.) you will have to rebuild those with your new kernel also.  Once
you have completed the transition to your new kernel, you have to
manually remove the previous one if you don't want it on your box any more.

-Scott