Re: failure to start kernel k8-smp

If this is the situation, I hope that a suggestion will come whether to
unistall (I still have the generic kernel)
 linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp
and install
 linux-image-2.6.16-1-amd64-k8-smp
should it exist. Why replacement does not occur on
#aptitude upgrdade
?

If I am not alone having problems, or the problems I reported seem to be
caused by the OS system, this is a situation to clarify. One does not come to
64bit to run applications that can be run at the same level of efficiency at
32bit (personally I'll never install such applications as kde gnome
openoffice, etc at 64bit, or 32bit chroots or ia386 (although lib32 are
installed by the system against my will!) as I have my old pc for that). One
comes to 64bit for the floating point and the precision.

Until a clarification and a path to follow I must sadly say that I am stopped
with quantum mechanical calculations.

Cheers
francesco