Re: nvidia video drivers

On Mon July 10 2006 01:55, Jo Shields wrote:
> Michael Langley wrote:
> > It is very simple and easy to set things up using the latest installer
> > from the nvidia website.  If you choose to go that route then there is
> > only one thing that you need to know.  The installer from the nvidia
> > website puts your drivers and extensions in the old modules location
> > which is:
> >
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/
> >
> > All you need to do to get things working with the nvidia installer is
> > copy the contents of the extensions/ and drivers/ directories over to
> > the new location which is:
> >
> > /usr/lib/xorg/modules/
> >
> > Or you can use ln to link the directories.
> >
> > rm -rf /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions
> > ln -s /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions
> > ln -s /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers
> >
> > Then all you have to do is run the installer.  As far as I know this
> > doesn't interfere with any debian packages and is even easier than the
> > "Debian Way."  Enjoy.
>
> It only "doesn't interfere" because at this moment in time, it doesn't
> use XOrg7 file locations. Once nVidia change that, then random files in
> /usr will get overwritten when running the installer - which
> correspondingly will break the X installation, especially when the
> packages owning the overwritten files get replaced.
>
> In the ~12 months I spent loitering in #debian, almost every broken X
> installation happened to people for whom "the nVidia installer always
> worked for me".
>
> Always always *ALWAYS* use a package-managed method for installing
> *anything* in /usr, and that especially includes the nvidia drivers.

This has been on my todo list. I've tried to follow instructions I have found
on the web but so far I haven't been able to do it. I've got..

http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/

saved in my bookmarks and I think that will help me get it done the debian way
from now on. It is working great at the moment but I think the way I did it
is going to break my x setup at some time in the future. When that happens
(or maybe before) I'll get it done up properly.

> >> Thanks Jack, added to my bookmarks.
> >>
> >> When I run m-a auto-install nvidia I get an error that says
> >> "Installation of the nvidia-kernel-source failed. Maybe you need to add
> >> something to sources.list."
> >>
> >> Are all the needed packages in the regular debian archive, or do I need
> >> to add something to sources.list for the nvidia stuff?
>
> What does your sources.list look like?

deb http://mirror.look.ca/linux/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://mirror.look.ca/linux/debian testing main contrib non-free

deb http://secure-testing.debian.net/debian-secure-testing/
etch/security-updates main contrib non-free

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main

Is there another listing needed for the nvidia stuff?