Re: nvidia video drivers

Michael Langley wrote:
It is very simple and easy to set things up using the latest installer
from the nvidia website.  If you choose to go that route then there is
only one thing that you need to know.  The installer from the nvidia
website puts your drivers and extensions in the old modules location
which is:
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/

All you need to do to get things working with the nvidia installer is
copy the contents of the extensions/ and drivers/ directories over to
the new location which is:

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/

Or you can use ln to link the directories.

rm -rf /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions
ln -s /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions
ln -s /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers
Then all you have to do is run the installer.  As far as I know this
doesn't interfere with any debian packages and is even easier than the
"Debian Way."  Enjoy.

It only "doesn't interfere" because at this moment in time, it doesn't use XOrg7 file locations. Once nVidia change that, then random files in /usr will get overwritten when running the installer - which correspondingly will break the X installation, especially when the packages owning the overwritten files get replaced.

In the ~12 months I spent loitering in #debian, almost every broken X installation happened to people for whom "the nVidia installer always worked for me".

Always always *ALWAYS* use a package-managed method for installing *anything* in /usr, and that especially includes the nvidia drivers.

Thanks Jack, added to my bookmarks.

When I run m-a auto-install nvidia I get an error that says "Installation of the nvidia-kernel-source failed. Maybe you need to add something to sources.list."

Are all the needed packages in the regular debian archive, or do I need to add something to sources.list for the nvidia stuff?

What does your sources.list look like?