Re: sources.list problem

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
Russ Cook <russcook@mbo.net> writes:

In light of the recent announcement "The Future of AMD64 Port" on this
list, I have attempted
to update my sources.list file for Apt.  I have attached the file for
reference.  I have tried various

But then you have only the old mirror in there and the new archive
commented out. That should be the other way around.

combinations of the mirrors in the file in an attempt to eliminate
error messages returned by the
command "apt-get update".  A script file of that command's output is
attached, also.  At this
point, the apt database files on my machine appear to be corrupted.
Is there a way to rebuild
the database files and get clean run from "apt-get update"?  A sample
sources.list file would
be greatly appreciated.

There is a clear error here:

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room

This bug in apt is actualy so common that googling for it gives you
tons of help. Try it.

MfG
        Goswin

Goswin,
Thank you for your kind reply. I recognized the MMAP error as one I had seen before, but couldn't recall the correction, so I did Google it, found a posted solution, tried it, but it failed. The increased value I used was insufficient. Tried a much larger value, and it worked. Last night, "apt-get update" was running without error, after I changed my "sources.list" file to the one attached here. I did not upgrade, however, because I was getting a large list of reported bugs for most of the packages that were going to upgrade - many included 'failure to install'
type bug reports.  So I held off.
This morning, however, I am now getting what I hope are temporary errors regarding
sources for 'source files'.  I will watch and see if they clear.
 Thanks again for your reply.
Regards,
 Russ
#deb file:///cdrom/ stable main

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sid main
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sarge main

#deb http://mirror.espri.arizona.edu/debian-amd64/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
deb http://mirror.espri.arizona.edu/debian-amd64/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free

#deb-src http://mirror.espri.arizona.edu/debian-amd64/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
#deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable   main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
Script started on Sun 23 Apr 2006 09:57:54 AM CDT

0% [Working]

Get: 1 http://mirror.espri.arizona.edu sarge Release.gpg [189B]

96% [Logging in] [Logging in] [Waiting for headers]

Get: 2 http://security.debian.org stable/updates Release.gpg [189B]

98% [Logging in] [Waiting for headers] [Logging in]

Hit http://mirror.espri.arizona.edu sarge Release

98% [Logging in] [Logging in] [Waiting for headers]

98% [Release gpgv 4812] [Logging in] [Logging in] [Waiting for headers]

99% [Logging in] [Logging in] [Waiting for headers]

Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates Release

99% [Logging in] [Waiting for headers] [Logging in]

99% [Release gpgv 19992] [Logging in] [Waiting for headers] [Logging in]

99% [Logging in] [Waiting for headers] [Logging in]

Hit http://mirror.espri.arizona.edu sarge/main Packages

99% [Logging in] [Logging in] [Waiting for headers]

Ign http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages

99% [Logging in] [Waiting for headers] [Logging in]

Hit http://mirror.espri.arizona.edu sarge/contrib Packages

Hit http://mirror.espri.arizona.edu sarge/non-free Packages

99% [Logging in] [Logging in] [Waiting for headers]

Ign http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Packages

Ign http://security.debian.org stable/updates/non-free Packages

99% [Logging in] [Logging in]

Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages

99% [Logging in] [Logging in]

Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Packages

99% [Logging in] [Logging in]

Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/non-free Packages

99% [Logging in] [Query]

Hit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org unstable Release.gpg

99% [Query]

Hit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org stable Release.gpg

99% [Query]

Hit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org unstable Release

99% [Query]

99% [Release gpgv 38339] [Query] [Query]

99% [Query] [Query]

Hit ftp://ftp.nerim.net sid Release.gpg

99% [Query]

Hit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org stable Release

99% [Query]

99% [Release gpgv 20755] [Query]

99% [Query] [Query]

Hit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages

99% [Query]

Hit ftp://ftp.nerim.net sarge Release.gpg

99% [Query]

Hit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/contrib Packages

99% [Query]

Hit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/non-free Packages

99% [Query]

Hit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/main Sources

99% [Query]

Get: 3 ftp://ftp.nerim.net sid Release [2864B]

96% [3 Release 0/2864B 0%] [Query]

Hit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/contrib Sources

96% [3 Release 0/2864B 0%]

Hit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/non-free Sources

96% [3 Release 0/2864B 0%]
96% [3 Release 0/2864B 0%]

96% [Sources bzip2 0] [3 Release 0/2864B 0%] [Query]
bzip2: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
	perhaps it is corrupted?  *Possible* reason follows.
bzip2: Inappropriate ioctl for device
	Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

Errftp://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main Sources
  Sub-process bzip2 returned an error code (2)

96% [3 Release 0/2864B 0%] [Query]

98% [3 Release 1448/2864B 50%]

98% [Sources bzip2 0] [3 Release 1448/2864B 50%] [Query]
bzip2: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
	perhaps it is corrupted?  *Possible* reason follows.
bzip2: Inappropriate ioctl for device
	Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

Errftp://ftp.us.debian.org stable/contrib Sources
  Sub-process bzip2 returned an error code (2)

98% [3 Release 1448/2864B 50%] [Query]

99% [Query]
99% [Query]
bzip2: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
	perhaps it is corrupted?  *Possible* reason follows.
bzip2: Inappropriate ioctl for device
	Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

Errftp://ftp.us.debian.org stable/non-free Sources
  Sub-process bzip2 returned an error code (2)

99% [3 Release gpgv 2864] [Query]

99% [Query]

Get: 4 ftp://ftp.nerim.net sarge Release [2192B]

97% [4 Release 0/2192B 0%]
97% [4 Release 0/2192B 0%]

99% [Working]

99% [4 Release gpgv 2192] [Query]

99% [Query]l

Hit ftp://ftp.nerim.net sid/main Packages

99% [Working]

Get: 5 ftp://ftp.nerim.net sarge/main Packages

99% [5 Packages 0]
99% [5 Packages 0]

Ign ftp://ftp.nerim.net sarge/main Packages

99% [Working]

Hit ftp://ftp.nerim.net sarge/main Packages

99% [Working]

Fetched 5058B in 5s (998B/s)
Failed to fetch ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/source/Sources.bz2  Sub-process bzip2 returned an error code (2)
Failed to fetch ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/contrib/source/Sources.bz2  Sub-process bzip2 returned an error code (2)
Failed to fetch ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/non-free/source/Sources.bz2  Sub-process bzip2 returned an error code (2)

Reading package lists... 0%

Reading package lists... 100%

Reading package lists... Done

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Script done on Sun 23 Apr 2006 09:57:59 AM CDT