Re: Xorg 7.0

Hans wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 13. April 2006 08:40 schrieb Gudjon I. Gudjonsson:

Hi Gudjon !

Same to me ! I had just upgraded to 7.0, when I read your message. Now my X does not start any more. Your message just came 2 minutes too late. I hope, that the missing packages will be handy soon.

In 32-bit they are already there, but 64-bit will last a little bit I suppose.
You can get nearly all xorg packages from ftp://ftp.de.debian.org.

Just add the following line to /etc/apt/source.list:

  deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib

However, xbase-clients is missing from the archives, which is needed to have the correct keymap installed. I have compiled a version from sources, which you can find here:

  http://www.fugmann.net/~afu/amd64/xbase-clients_7.0.0-2_amd64.deb

Remember also to install xkb-data, and modify the xorg configuration file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) to use xorg keyboard rules (may installations uses xfree86, which xorg did not complain about before).

You keyboard section should look something like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc102"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "dk"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
EndSection

(change the model, layout and options to suit your needs).

best regards

Hans
Regards
Anders Fugmann