Tyan Thunder K8S S2800 blues

Hi all,

A motherboard that is actually on amd64 compatibility list (http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/27/mainboards.html) is driving me nuts. I used Debian etch beta2 amd64 to install Debian etch. First and foremost, the installer failed to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server on the network. Repeatedly. Since the other OS worked flawlessly on the very same box, I figured something might be wrong with IRQ routing and appended 'noacpi noapic nolapic' as the kernel boot parameters. Things started to work. I have installed pretty much everything I need, including a proper kernel, namely linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp. I left the 'append="noapic nolapic acpi=off"' line in /etc/lilo.conf, rebooted and called it a day. But today I noticed the box is behaving badly. It is constantly dropping SSH connections from my workstation (running Windows XP and putty) and laptop (running Debian sid x86). Sometimes I can't connect to it, the other times it works for about 15 minutes and then drops the connection. Strangely enough, running a 'ps aux | grep ssh' from the console displays all the dead sessions like nothing is wrong. After a while (a minute or so) the damn thing starts working again! I flashed the BIOS to version 3.02h (beta). I dist-upgraded to sid and linux-image-2.6.16-1-amd64-k8-smp. Nothing helps. I still can't boot without 'append="noapic nolapic acpi=off"' and the box is still losing SSH connections. scp appears to be running fine (transferred ~300MB back and forth without a glitch), so does ping.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Uroš