Re: Gnome in unstable

From: Albert Oliver Serra <brosaj@menta.net>
> Hello
>
> * reeses1@comcast.net [08-04-2006 02:25:15] va escriure:
>
> > Is anyone else seeing this?  Any ideas when it might be resolved?
> I'm not sure, but I think that if you downgrade all what you've
> installed to testing and then you try to upgrade to sid you'll have a
> gnome-running system with 2.12 and 2.14 as people in sid have.
>
> I hope it works

Greetings:

Thanks for the idea, but both testing and unstable seem to exhibit this problem.  I removed as many gnome packages as I could identify.  Then I tried to install gnome from testing. Here's what apt-get does:

aries:~# apt-get -t testing install gnome
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
  gnome: Depends: gnome-desktop-environment (= 1:2.12.2.2) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: gnome-office (= 1:2.12.2.2) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

and if you work your way down the tree you, gnome-desktop-environment won't install because of gnomemeeting, gnomemeeting won't install because of libebook1.2-3, and that won't install:

aries:~# apt-get -t testing install libebook1.2-3
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package libebook1.2-3 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
E: Package libebook1.2-3 has no installation candidate

because it doesn't exist.  I'm sure that people who already have gnome installed have the packages, but why would they be removed from the archives when other packages still depend on them?  I have a feeling that it's just me and has to do with installing from the testing builds, but I can't install from stable because the 2.6.8 kernels on those installs won't boot on my machine.