OT (was Re: ram/raid1)

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Erik Mouw wrote:

You can order memory everywhere in the EU, that's what the "no
obstacles for trading goods" rules are for. If you can find memory
cheaper in (for example) Germany, buy it over there and have it shipped
to Italy. Be sure to let your Italian vendor know that he missed a
sale.

Yes, you can do that if you are buying it for yourself as a private citizen
or company. If you are buying it for a public institution, than you will
require italian invoices and the like, which by and large means you have to
buy in Italy. I know, unfortunately. I had to buy a (way) suboptimal laptop
for my work, despite what I wanted (amd 64 based, large screen resolution,
more than 2GB ram...) being easily available elsewhere, just for this
reason. I had either to fork money out of my own pocket or buy something
worse and more expensive. After many years of complaining (and having chosen
many times before to spend my own money) I finally gave up and settled for
the worse, more expensive solution with the office money (what the heck!).

And, of course, companies _know_ this situation and exploit it, making very
different commercial offers for different national markets (see e.g.
differences in HP offers on the web, just for an example, between US and
EU).

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.