Re: is testing not getting build ?

Ernest jw ter Kuile <ejwtk05@xs4all.nl> writes:

> On Thursday 06 April 2006 07:09, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>>
>> I'm assuming you are talking about the official Debian archive, right?
>
> correct.
>
>> mrvn@storage:/mnt/mirror/debian/dists% grep-dctrl -F Architecture amd64 etch/main/binary-amd64/Packages
>>
>> <nothing>
>
> There seem to be some packages available in the mirror I can see from here. Most
> packages have been obsoleted/localized (ie not available in repository), but then
> that was what my question was about.
>
> If even a few packages are indeed there, I will assume the mechanisme for building is
> in place, but has stalled somehow.
>
>> Seems like amd64 is excluded from moving into etch.
>
> Cheer up! We waited long enough. we can wait a bit longer.

After some more fact finding I can say that the situation is like
this:

- Etch amd64 contains all architecture all packages present in Debian
etch. They are present in all architectures no matter what.

- The official buildd has no etch chroot yet (where would that come
from?) and does not build any etch-proposed-updates yet. But keep in
mind that it is very uncommon for something to get uploaded directly
to etch so this doesn't hurt us.

- Packages are moved from sid to etch when they are installable in
etch (after the move), have no more bugs than the old etch version and
are old enough (between 2-10 days depending on urgency). Further
packages with udebs are put on hold as they need to be moved manualy
in coordination with Debian-Installer updates.

Now, what does that mean for us?

The libc6 in sid is newer than the libc6 in etch and it will take at
least 10 days for the age limit to allow this new libc6 into etch. At
that point it will also need a manual push due to the libc6.udeb.
Since everything has a Depends on libc6 none of the other packages can
move to etch before that (they would be uninstallable).

There are more such doorstoppers but libc6 is the biggest one. They
probably get all solved together with (or shortly after) libc6.

MfG
        Goswin