Re: Debian Sarge server frozen (em64t-p4-smp)

On 4/6/06, Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri@swoodbridge.com> wrote:
> Simon,
>
> Have you checked your 3ware logs, are you getting any disk errors? Which
> controller are you running? Have you run fsck on all the partitions? Not
> sure any of these will help as Lennart said, it does sound like
> something hardware is start to fail.
>
> -Steve
>
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 07:02:48PM +1200, Simon wrote:
> >
> >>Hi There, We have a mail server (postfix>amavis>dbmail) running debian
> >>sarge (2.6.8-9-em64t-p4-smp) running dual xeons with a tyan
> >>motherboard and 3ware hardware raid5. Everything has been running fine
> >>up to now, but in the last week it has frozen twice. Completly stuck
> >>needing a hard reboot to restart (ctl-alt-del dosnt work). Here is a
> >>screenshot of the stuck screen (no ping, nothing at this point):
> >>
> >>http://gremin.orcon.net.nz/console.jpg
> >>
> >>Would someone be able to take a look and give me a clue here?
> >

> > I wonder what autoremove_wake_function is...
> >
> > journal_commit_transaction looks related to one of the journaling
> > filesystems, specifically ext3 I believe.
> >
> > Can you do a shift+pgup to see more of the output?  How about setting up
> > a serial console or remote logging so you can capture the full error
> > messages?
> >
> > Of course it really sounds like either you upgraded something recently
> > that is broken, or the hardware is starting to fail.

We did have a disk spit itself out of the 3ware hw raid a couple of
weeks ago, the spare kicked in and was all OK. After a re-start all
seemed fine again... but now seems like too much of a coincidence to
ignore. Replace the drive?? - im guessing yes :)

Unfort i cant scroll up as the box was really suck.. nothing but a hw
reset worked.

Simon