amd64 dualcore nad raid1

i intend to setup a workstation for quantum mechanical calculations (organic
chemistry) with a couple of amd64 dualcore 265 and a couple of STA hard disks
360GB raid 1 (mirroring for security reasons).

Do you think that mainboard Tyan Thunder S2877ANDF x 2 Dual Opteron under
debian testing/unstable provides adequate raid 1 support without going to
expensive 3ware products? I plan to have 2GB ram, but that is not enough for
the calculations and frequent access to disk occurs.

Remember that i am based in italy where the market is under rigid control by
whom you can easily imagine so that it is not easy to get what one wants (for
example main boards). i am happy when i meet a handler who follows my linux
requests, most do not.

thanks for answering
Francesco Pietra