Re: libc6-i386

David Liontooth <liontooth@cogweb.net> writes:

> Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:13:36PM -0800, David Liontooth wrote:
>>

>>>Just to make sure I understand: we're going multiarch? No more chrooted
>>>32-bit environment?
>>>

>>No, this is biarch.  It's to replace ia32-libs.
>>
>>Multiarch is something totaly different.
>>

> Thank you.  Can I install OpenOffice in the regular root with libc6-i386?
>
> Dave

No.

libc6-i386 is just a 32bit libc6 compiled for
/emul/ia32-linux/(usr/)lib instead of having the repacked i386 deb in
ia32-libs itself.

This has three major advantages: 1) ia32-libs doesn't have to carry a
copy of the source and binary, 2) it won't be outdated anymore, 3)
locales will work since they now look where the 32bit gconv modules
actualy are.

OOo still needs its own OOo-amd64 deb and many more libraries than
libc6. Including a recompiled X so the X locales will work (or a
wraper script to override the path).

MfG
        Goswin