Re: keep specific versions of packages

Francesco,

On Wednesday 27 December 2006 01:54, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> --- Mike Reinehr <cmr@amsent.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 24 December 2006 09:03, Francesco Pietra
> >
> > wrote:
> > > I want to avoid any modification from apt-get
> >
> > commands

> > > mpqc 2.3.1-0.2
> > >
> > > specially compiled for amd64 with libint (which is
> >
> > not
> >
> > > included in the package of same version on debian
> > > repositories) and installed with dpkg. I.e., I
> >
> > want to
> >
> > > avoid "downgrading" to a version without libint.

> > > 2.3..1-0.2, though the list of dependencies does
> >
> > not
> >
> > > show libint (which is in, because the software
> >
> > deals
> >
> > > correctly with integrals that only libint allows

> > > do)
> > >
> > > According to Silva's APT HOWTO I should manage
> >
> > with
> >
> > > /etc/apt/preferences, though there is no such file
> >
> > or
> >
> > > directory on my debiam amd64 etch,
> > > linux-image-2.6.18-3-amd64. Should I build a file
> > > "preferences" from scratch?
> > >
> > > I must say that I am not familiar with this aspect
> >
> > of
> >
> > > apt.
> > >
> > > Thanks for advice
> > > francesco pietra
> >
> > Francesco,
> >
> > I've been trying to understand pinning from the time
> > I first used Debian,
> > several years now, and still feel that I'm missing
> > something, but I think
> > your problem has a simple solution. I believe all
> > that you need in
> > your /etc/apt/preferences file are the following
> > three lines:
> >
> > Package: mpqc
> > Pin: version 2.3.1-0.2
> > Pin-Priority: 1000
>
> As I wrote, there is no "preferences" file on my
> system. Create from scratch?

Yes, as root with a text editor, i.e., vi, vim, ed, ... and mode 0644.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 245 Sep  2 17:06 /etc/apt/preferences

See man apt_preferences for details.

> Besides this, what happens to the libraries if I free
> a package? For example, I wanted to check the stage of
> development of ghemical on GNOME, though it ptretends
> to install mpqc too, which is not compiled for the
> libraries I need (in part lower, in part lacking).

If I understand you correctly, then, if you decided to remove ghemical and
mpqc was marked as having been installed automatically to satisfy the
dependencies of ghemical, it too would be removed, otherwise, not. If you
attempted to upgrade ghemical to a newer version, it appears that apt would
do so without complaint as the dependency does not appear to mandate any
particular version of mpqc, as it does with some of the other dependencies.

> Thanks for answering
> francesco pietra

HTH!

cmr