Re: a few simple questions about AMD64 version of Debian

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 10:16:56AM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
> For laptops and desktops, you really can't beat the Core architecture (for
> which Intel has stupidly named the CPUs Core2).  In single-core and
> dual-core setups, these are the best CPUs around.
>
> For servers, though, I still prefer Opterons, and that's mainly due to the
> NUMA setup, proper support for amd64 extensions, better hardware
> virtualisation (although that's still in theory as we haven't used any
> CPUs that support it), and better all-around running in our testing.  Not
> to mention the fact that you can upgrade the CPU without requiring a
> wholee new motherboard.  When will Intel learn that bumping the CPU speed
> should not require a new chipset and motherboard??

I agree entirely.  The HT link system is much better than intel's
(still) shared front side bus and chipset based memory controller.

Intel did at least manage to make most of their latest P4 chipsets
handle the Core architecture (although it was probably mostly done by
the time those chipsets were released).  Of course for the AMD we need a
new cpu to use a new type of ram on a new motherboard.  Given the rate
of change in memory types, that isn't such a big deal of course.
Certainly going to dual or quad core doesn't seem to have any affect on
the chipsets on AMD, which certainly makes their design seem much more
thought out and mature right away.