RE: 2D,3D,nvidia,nv?

The closed source "nvidia" driver, as much as it pains to say it, is better
than the open source "nv" in that it enables the functionality of the Nvidia
chipset whereas the "nv" driver minimizes detrimental impact on an otherwise
extremely stable Debian system by limiting how much of the chipset
functionality it accesses.  If stability is what you want, then us the nv
driver and you are pretty much insured a stable but less than optimal
performing system.  Having said that, the nv performance is probably all you
need.  As far as hardware mpeg4 (I think that is what you mean rather than
jpeg?) acceleration, the nvidia chipsets have native video decoder hardware
and my naïve guess is that BOTH the nv and nvidia drivers enable that.
Anyone else out there want to confirm or correct.