Modulized or monolithic kernel on notebooks ?

Hi all,

I know, there was a lot of discussion about kernel-builds.
And I really do not want start flamewars.

So here are my little questions:

What do you think (with the the focus on speed):

1. Does it make sense to compile a kernel with all modules built in, for the
hardware which is always present on the target notebook (maybe desktop-px,
too) ?

I.e. sound, controller, filesystem, pcmcia-port, usb, sd-card-reader, wlan
etc. etc, everything, which cannot be exchanged.

2. Does this improve speed especially on 64-bit-systems ?

3. Has anyone experience with those tests ?

Again: I do not want, to start any flamewars, I am just interested in
technics !

Thanks for the answers.

Best regards

Hans